Rare Beauty, based in El Segundo, aims to break down unrealistic standards of perfection. Here at Rare Beauty, we empower our team and our community to challenge beauty norms by shaping positive conversations about self-acceptance and mental health. Our mission is to help everyone celebrate their individuality by redefining what beautiful means. We want to promote self-acceptance and give people the tools they need to feel less alone in the world. We take pride in offering best-in-class benefits, with medical monthly premiums covered by the Company at 100%, employee certification in mental health first aid at work, free yoga, quarterly makeup stipend, and much more!
The Accounting Director, reporting to the VP of Finance, will be accountable for developing, managing, and growing the Company’s accounting team and operations. This individual will also have access to functional leaders and an opportunity for growth. The Accounting Director will be responsible for the preparation of financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, enhancing the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensuring that reported results comply with US GAAP.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for supervising and monitoring day-to-day accounting activities, including accounts payable, banking, fixed assets, revenue/accounts receivable, inventory, review of time and expenses, general accounting, payroll, income tax and filing of non-income tax returns including sales and use tax
• Responsible for preparing and booking day-to-day and month-end journal entries
• Responsible for the monthly and annual accounting close process, ensure compliance with US GAAP, review balance sheet reconciliations, variance analysis and ad hoc reporting
• Manage day-to-day relationships with external auditors during annual audit
• Lead transformational initiatives (e.g., implementation of internal controls, documentation of accounting procedures, enhancement to monthly reporting in collaboration with the finance team, draft and/or review technical accounting memos, if any, etc.)
• Ensure tax and regulation compliance of foreign operations (e.g., VAT, other non-income taxes)
• Supervise and provide leadership, direction, and mentorship to the accounting team (Accounting Manager and Senior Accountant)
• Other duties as assigned
• BA/BS or higher in Accounting, Finance, or related field
• Minimum 3 years audit experience
• Certified Public Accountant (active or inactive)
• 12+ years of progressive accounting experience including at least 5 years of supervisory experience
• Strong analytical, problem-solving and organization skills
• Hands-on, flexible, and able to adapt to changes quickly
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Able to work independently
• Advanced Excel skills and experience of using ERP software
• Experience in consumer products and/or ecommerce, notably cosmetics or beauty
• Experience with NetSuite
• Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.