||Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights (UAF) – a rapid response grantmaking organization – supports courageous women and transgender human rights defenders around the world. UAF’s model protects and advances the civil, political, and social rights of women and LGBTI people, and invests in the resilience of social justice movements, including environmental, feminist, anti-corruption, land rights, youth, and LGBTI movements. Founded in 1997, UAF has grown from a single organization into a network of four independent Sister Funds that collectively support frontline women’s rights activists around the world. UAF’s work within this network centers on support for activists and social movements in Central Asia, the Middle East, Western and Eastern Europe, the South Caucuses, Turkey, Russia, Canada, and the United States.
At a critical moment in time for the world, UAF is seeking a Director of Finance and Operations to manage the finance, accounting, operations, and human resources responsibilities for the organization. While leading a small team, the Director will play a key role in managing and directing the finance and accounting operations of a dynamic and growing international non-profit organization, including government funding reporting and international audits; non-profit law and accounting principles; presenting financial data and its implications clearly and succinctly to management, board, funders, and staff; training, managing and supervising staff and consultants; planning, forecasting and budgeting, including for multi-organization consortia; human resources best practices and employment law in the U.S.; institutional records management and remote operations management; and IT systems management with a high degree of digital security.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance and Operations will supervise UAF’s Operations, Human Resources, and Finance/Accounting staff. Additionally, the Director will work closely with UAF’s financial management consultant. Candidates for this role will bring strong leadership and management abilities as well as technical expertise, practical knowledge, strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills in the areas of finance, human resources, organizational development, IT and systems development, and administration functions.
||While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
• Committed to the values and mission of Urgent Action Fund
• Able to work in an engaging, authentic, and collaborative manner with multiple stakeholders, including the staff, Board, funders, grantees, consortium partners, and Sister Funds.
• Have a high degree of professionalism and optimism.
• Adept at working effectively in a team/networked environment through the development of excellent relationships with remote colleagues, all teams at UAF, vendors, consultants, and staff at affiliated organizations.
• Skilled at explaining complex financial and compliance procedures in a transparent, accessible and individualized way.
• Able to manage multiple competing deadlines and prioritize commitments across a wide range of responsibilities.
• Clear communication around decision-making and ability to integrate collective input in all processes.
• Growth mindset with ability to adapt to changing circumstances quickly.
• 7+ years of progressively responsible experience managing finance, accounting, human resources, and operations in a non-profit setting.
• 3+ years of experience managing teams.
• Skilled in the use of online accounting software; experience with NetSuite a plus.
• Skilled in the use and management of payroll and time tracking software.
• Excellent interpersonal and quantitative analysis skills.
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present financial information effectively to board, non-financial staff, and community.
• High level of discretion, integrity, and executive judgment in difficult and/or complex organizational decisions.