The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance.
Overview of CHAI's Vaccines Program
To ensure all children have access to effective and affordable immunization, addressing the main causes of child mortality, CHAI's Vaccines Markets Team works with vaccine manufacturers, Gavi and other global stakeholders to improve availability, affordability and diversity of supply for existing and future Gavi vaccines. In doing this, CHAI is applying the techniques it has used successfully to improve access to HIV/AIDS and malaria treatment: improving market demand transparency for individual suppliers, and working closely with these suppliers to optimize their commercial, costing and pricing strategies in low and middle income markets. In doing so, this ensures the availability of vaccines at affordable yet commercially sustainable prices.
Since 2011, CHAI has worked in vaccine market shaping and has negotiated price reductions for major vaccines. For example, earlier work has resulted in a reduction in the price of rotavirus vaccine by two-thirds, resulting in savings of over USD$600M for global donors and governments over 5 years and a reduction in the price of pentavalent vaccine by 45%, generating savings of $150M over 4 years.
Some selected news articles about CHAI's work on access in vaccines and other areas are listed here:
WHO press release, January 2018 - https://www.who.int/medicines/news/2017/Bharat-Biotech-TypbarTCV-WHO-PQ-Press-Release-Global-Final.pdf?ua=1
WHO press release, April 2013 - https://www.who.int/pmnch/media/news/2013/gavi_pentavalent_price_announcement.pdf
The pandemic context has only reinforced the importance of CHAI's Vaccines Markets team's work, coupling the need to ensure supply security for existing vaccines, for which demand and supply dynamics are being disrupted, with the need to accelerate time to market of a suitable COVID-19 vaccine on an unprecedented time frame. CHAI is working closely with many partners towards this goal.
The Vaccines Markets team is seeking an Associate to support supplier-facing engagements, with a particular focus on Gavi-supported vaccines for Gavi eligible countries. The Associate will be responsible for managing several key supplier relationships, conducting business planning engagements and will support in driving a global supplier sustainability agenda. The Associate will also be involved in CHAI's COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing work with global health partners. This will require extensive collaboration with CHAI's vaccine delivery team, external partners (e.g. Gavi, BMGF, CEPI, Linksbridge) and other members of the Vaccines Markets team.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding analytical, strategic, communication and teamwork skills. The successful candidate will adhere to the core CHAI values of resourcefulness, entrepreneurialism, flexibility, independence, humility, and work ethic. The Associate will report to the Program Manager, Vaccine Markets Team. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
* Develop an understanding of global market dynamics and market shaping priorities to strengthen supply security and affordability of current and future priority vaccines
* Generate analyses that strengthen the business case for vaccine affordability and availability (e.g., demand forecasts, uptake models and market access strategies; production development, cost reduction and manufacturing strategies)
* Support the design and implementation of supplier engagement strategies
* Cultivate relationships with key global health partners, investors and vaccine manufacturers
* Support them to develop high impact vaccines at affordable prices (with relevant product attributes that meet the needs of low-income countries) by generating valuable market insights, facilitating partnerships and offering targeted analytical support
* Lead preparations of presentations, reports, and other analyses to inform global policy and increase the evidence base for high-impact interventions
* Creatively scope and initiate projects that could contribute to further improving supply sustainability and accessibility of vaccines for low-income countries
* Support the development of concept notes and new projects
* 25-30% international travel time would be required once situation allows
* Any other duties as required
* Minimum Bachelor's degree with strong academic performance require
* Minimum 3 years of professional experience in a fast paced, results-oriented work environment
* Exceptional analytical, research and presentation skills for both qualitative and quantitative data
* Clear strategic thinker with very strong problem-solving skills
* Excellent proficiency in MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English with the ability to represent CHAI externally; fluency in other languages is a plus
* Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with individuals of varying levels of seniority
* Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and remote environment
* Ability to work independently and effectively in a high-performance, dynamic environment and handle multiple priorities simultaneously
* Strong commitment to teamwork, team mission, and hard work
* Advanced degree in Bio-Medical sciences, Business, Finance, Engineering, Economics, or other related disciplines
* Experience in manufacturing or product development of vaccines, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals
* Prior knowledge or experience of global health partners within the vaccine ecosystem
* Established network of contacts with vaccine manufacturers, multilaterals and other key global health stakeholders
* Experience living and working in low-resource settings