|Position Title ||:||Director, Corporate Strategy & Business Development|
|Hiring Company ||:||M. A. MORTENSON COMPANIES|
|Resume Recipient ||:||Agency|
|Job Category ||:||Strategy|
|Industry||:||Energy, Resources and Industrials|
|Nearest Metropolitan Area(s) ||:
|Primary Location City,|
M. A. Mortenson Company Director, Corporate Strategy & Business Development
M. A. Mortenson Company (Mortenson) tackles some of the most complex real estate and construction opportunities in North America. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, this growing, technologically savvy professional services organization employs approximately 6,500 construction, real estate and facility professionals and craft workers. Its national network of offices includes Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Washington, DC, Chicago, Milwaukee, Portland and San Antonio, as well as numerous national businesses led from the Minneapolis location. Major industries served by Mortenson’s national businesses include renewable energy (wind, solar, storage & transmission), sports and entertainment venues, healthcare and data centers.
The family-owned company had 2020 revenues of $5B. Mortenson currently has a record pipeline of customers and future projects. In addition to growing its traditional construction business, Mortenson is expanding service offerings that guide customers as they prepare for construction, including real estate development, engineering, virtual design capabilities and off-site manufacturing.
Mortenson enjoys a uniquely strong and positive culture, as evidenced by consistent world-class employee engagement scores. Every facet of the business is guided by three tenants:
• Build for the Greater Good
• Enable Customer Success
• LeadBLU in All We Do
LeadBLU is Mortenson’s Leadership Development Program. Its principles and practices articulate Mortenson’s special culture and are comprised of three pillars: Do the Right Thing, We Before Me and Inspire What’s Possible. Senior Leadership is continually revisiting Mortenson’s role as a corporate citizen with a focus on diversity, equity and inclusion, the environment and giving/stewardship. As part of Mortenson’s ongoing commitment to stewardship, five percent of pre-tax income is donated annually to provide assistance locally, nationally and internationally.
Mortenson has built a reputation for being a progressive company and is recognized as a leader in its industry and in the communities in which the Company operates. It is the recipient of numerous Best Places to Work awards, as well as awards for quality, safety, and innovation.
Please visit Mortenson.com. Position Summary
As part of the Corporate Strategy & Business Development team, the successful candidate will play a critical role in the discovery of new markets and partners, as well as the development of select business opportunities. They will be active in various corporate-wide strategic initiatives and apply structured problem solving to a variety of business issues. The role requires close cooperation with executive leadership and Operating Group leaders. The position is a launch pad for future General Management and/or commercial leadership positions within the broader Mortenson organization.
Reports to: John Ohman, Senior Vice President, Strategy & Development
Other key relationships:
Executive Leadership (President & CEO, COO, CFO) Senior Leadership Team
Operating Group Leaders
Business/Project Development Leaders
Position Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
• Act as a thought leader and champion for fact-based and analytical problem solving. Provide frameworks that influence Mortenson’s decision-makers and shape its long-term direction.
• Operate as an engagement manager, driving workflows and communication regularly with stakeholders, especially the executive team. Work with Operating Groups on “deep dives” that result in pragmatic, winning strategies to drive profitable growth.
• Help facilitate company-wide strategy development and annual planning. Participate in quarterly strategic leadership forums.
Market Opportunity Research & Evaluation
• Define and prioritize new business opportunities. Evaluate trends and options.
• Conduct industry, channel, market and competitive research and analysis.
• Guide the development of actionable customer/partner segmentation.
Partnership & Business Development
• Interface with various industries, trade partner and financial communities to source new opportunities.
• Identify and evaluate potential partners, particularly those outside Mortenson’s core construction business.
• Perform due diligence efforts on potential partners with guidance from executive leadership.
• Analyze opportunities for appropriate fit in corporate strategy, including development of pricing and business models.
• Precipitate change through networking, teaching and partnering.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will be a highly strategic, analytical, consultative and aspiring business professional. This person will take initiative, champion change and be curious and creative, constantly seeking out innovative approaches to support an ever-evolving set of businesses. They will be a self-starter with excellent research, analytical, critical thinking and creative problem-solving capabilities.
This person will be passionate about the vision and culture of Mortenson. They will be drawn to the unique opportunity to develop their career toward a general management and/or commercial path at Mortenson. They will also have exhibited the highest degree of integrity, ethical decision-making and sound business judgment, and a demonstrable commitment to the principles of equity, inclusion, diversity and access.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
• Strategic Acumen
Understands markets, identifies trends and drives the organization to create comprehensive, competitive and breakthrough strategies. Prioritizes strategically, leading the organization to pursue and capitalize on the best opportunities.
• Entrepreneurial Spirit
Understands and manages the challenges inherent in future-looking and growth-oriented environments. Demonstrates curiosity, optimism, resilience and a bias for action. Acts nimbly in order to drive evolution and opportunity for growth.
• Champions Innovation
Constructively challenges the prevailing wisdom or accepted ways of doing things. Identifies fresh approaches and uncovers unconventional ideas that drive value using data and insights.
• Sound Decision-Making
Possesses strong intellectual curiosity and the ability to analytically, conceptually and critically evaluate information to determine relative strengths and weaknesses of ideas and proposals. Comfortable managing ambiguity and balancing action with analysis and reflection. Recommends well-reasoned risks.
• Customer Focus
Seeks an integrated understanding of current and evolving customer needs and guides the company to support the interests and success of customers accordingly. Stays abreast of customer experience and actively seeks out ways to incorporate customer feedback and deepen customer relationships.
• Collaboration and Teamwork
Builds trusting relationships. Demonstrates the ability to connect with and influence diverse audiences. Actively works to ensure solid communication and coordination across all parts of the organization. Contributes to an intentional and cohesive culture that aligns objectives and unites the team.
In addition to demonstration of the Leadership Competencies above, essential skills, qualifications and experiences desired include:
• 7+ years of business experience, including 3+ years in corporate development, strategic partnerships, strategic marketing or business development roles.
• 3+ years in strategy/management consulting, corporate development, private equity or venture capital (preferred).
• Industry experience in infrastructure, industrial manufacturing, engineering, construction or real estate (preferred).
• Superior problem-solving and analytical skills, including opportunity identification, financial models and analyses.
• Proficiency in strategic frameworks and approaches to assessing critical strategic issues and opportunities for the company and its future direction.
• Demonstrated success working effectively in a team and navigating a matrixed environment.
• Prior entrepreneurial experience.
• Ability to communicate impactfully and persuasively, including strong presentation skills.
• Highly developed interpersonal skills and ability to be effective working with people at all levels, including executive leadership.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and a complex array of strategic and tactical projects with diverse partners.
• Familiarity with and commitment to Mortenson’s values and LeadBLU principles and philosophy.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in electrical engineering or other technical field; MBA (preferred).