||Director, Financial Planning & Analysis - BDSI
The Director, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) serves as advisor and “hands-on” strategic business partner to the CFO and serves as a core member of the Finance Leadership team. The person in this position leads the company’s annual budgeting process, the periodic forecasting processes, and the overall company financial strategic planning process. The role is responsible for driving a high quality of financial analytical support throughout the company, and for driving continuous improvements to the quality, speed and reliability of relevant reporting and analytics, ensuring the business is continuously challenged to improve financially and achieve its financial goals while driving growth. Furthermore, this role is responsible for developing reporting and reporting tools as required. As the deliverables in this role involve consolidating inputs from and coordinating with Sales & Marketing, Supply Chain and each of the business functions, and preparing the overall company summary for each of the key reporting cycles, it is critical to establish good working relationships with the finance & accounting team, the Operating Committee, and the Accounting team. This role will update and report information surrounding the company’s financial performance, in the preparation of the Investor Relations Quarterly Presentations, preparation for investor interactions, Board and Executive Leadership team presentations and will represent the Finance function on projects and initiatives as needed. This role will also support M&A activities as needed, including but not limited to conducting due diligence when required and driving a consistent approach to M&A pipeline.
A strong candidate for this role must possess excellent critical thinking skills, strong interpersonal and communication skills, and will be able to move seamlessly between tactical financial work (e.g. month end reporting and analysis) and more high level financial support (e.g. acquisition analysis) and should be a highly-skilled finance professional who has a solid foundation in accounting principles but wants to use that knowledge to go beyond processing transactions and move into influencing decisions.
• Create and lead periodic financial reports and presentations, including both internal management and Board of Directors level materials.
• Proactively lead thoughtful analysis regarding P&L, Balance Sheet, and key financial and business metrics; tie in financial information with macroeconomic environment and underlying businesses.
• Recommend and implement agreed KPIs incorporating into a balanced scorecard.
• Support and/or lead, as required core processes regarding monthly forecast and results, quarterly earnings, and annual budget and strategic plan.
• Collaborate effectively with Finance and internal partners to drive comprehensive executive reporting.
• Recommend and drive finance related process improvements; provide input to improve efficiency, effectiveness, and accuracy of forecasting and reporting, as required.
• Use insight, analysis and critical thinking to evaluate and make recommendations on long term profitability of business model, as well as future impact of initiatives being launched.
• Provide input for business decisions by producing detailed financial models (P&Ls and DCFs) incorporating detailed assumptions, expectations, and known risks.
• Participate in business case presentations to senior and executive management; and present and clarify forecast, assumptions, and variances with senior management.
• Drive deployment of financial targets and provide business insight and analysis to support a variety
• of business issues.
• Support the business in developing and executing on effective business strategies, leading top-notch analysis to identify key trends or potential opportunities to drive improvement.
• Help define the right operational measures that can be tracked and improved and can directly improve the performance of key stakeholders and improve the financial performance of the Company.
• Effectively use financial information to provide the business with better insight into business performance and trajectory and opportunities for growth.
• Drives optimization of P&L performance and manages to financial metrics, providing alternatives to improve business performance.
• Leads improvements in delivering business predictability through a robust forecasting and review framework within the segment.
• Plays an active role in driving for change and continuous improvement in the business and within finance; identify areas that require improvement.
• Manage and conduct budget review meetings; present information to the executive leadership
• team; manage and maintain a centralized annual budget tool; research trends and variances to plan; and manage the general and administrative expenses of the division.
• Perform routine and ad-hoc financial analysis utilizing financial modeling and business analysis.
• Conduct research as needed during monthly financial close.
• Development of the financial analysis and metrics for business development related deals. Communicate findings and recommendations to top management and decision makers/key stakeholders.
• Develop financial models for estimating business profitability to facilitate timely executive-level decision making.
• Provide guidance to CFO on complex financial matters to assist in decision making, with a focus on bottom-line performance improvement.
• Serves as a liaison with budget managers and assists in the development of cost budgets.
• Contributes proactively to drive a culture of talent development, coaching and ongoing communications across the finance organization.
• Collaborates with the finance leaders for all businesses, sharing best practices.
• Bachelor’s degree in an accounting or finance discipline; MBA strongly preferred
6-8+ years relevant experience with minimum 3 years of prior FP&A experience
Previous finance experience in a pharmaceutical or start-up company preferred
• Strong track record of financial process improvements
• Strong analytical skills. Financial planning and modelling skills important
• Solid knowledge of accounting principles, practices, and financial reporting
• Strong project management skills
• Experience in developing financial reporting tools & reporting systems a plus
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Build solid working relationships; partner closely with business, functional and finance teams
• Strong business sense, attention to detail and a strong desire to grow professionally are keys to success in this challenging position
• Understands implicitly how to manage and work with multiple and diverse stakeholders
• Articulate with excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills
• Collaborative team player, excellent interpersonal, and team-building skills
• Able to work in a fast-paced environment; able to multi-task with proven follow-through and adherence to changing priorities and deadlines
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Able to seamlessly transition between strategic and tactical work, willing to “roll up sleeves”
• Strong work ethic with self-accountability for high-quality results
• Organizationally savvy
• Ability to work independently
• Positive attitude and perseverance in the face of challenges and/or changing circumstances
• High-energy, proactive, self-starter capable of completing a diverse workload with tight timelines
• Highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity
• Absolute discretion and confidentiality regarding sensitive information
• Change agent and driver of high-performance culture