|Position Title ||:||Vice President, Assistant Corporate Controller|
|Hiring Company ||:||DONNELLEY FINANCIAL SOLUTIONS, INC.|
|Resume Recipient ||:||Agency|
|Job Category ||:||Finance|
|Nearest Metropolitan Area(s) ||:
|Primary Location City,|
Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) is a leading global risk and compliance solutions company. The Company provides regulatory filing and deal solutions via its software-as-a-service (“SaaS”), technology-enabled services and print and distribution solutions to public and private companies, mutual funds and other regulated investment firms, to serve their regulatory and compliance needs. Originally part of RR Donnelley & Sons, DFIN became an independent publicly traded company in October 2016. DFIN’s 2018 revenues were approximately $1B.
For corporate clients within its capital markets offerings, the Company offers technology-enabled filing solutions that allow U.S. public companies to comply with applicable U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) regulations. The Company’s services include filing agent services, digital document creation and online content management tools that support corporate financial transactions and regulatory reporting. The Company provides solutions to facilitate clients’ communications with their shareholders, and virtual data rooms and other deal management solutions.
For the investment markets, including alternative investment and insurance investment companies, DFIN provides technology-enabled filing solutions including cloud-based tools for creating and filing high-quality regulatory documents and solutions for investors designed to improve the speed of access to and accuracy of investment information. DFIN’s deep industry and regulatory expertise and a commitment to exceptional service guides their clients to navigate a high-stakes and ever-changing regulatory environment.
DFIN’s Values: Uncompromising Integrity. Collective Genius. Bold Action. Purposeful Agility.
Reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer, the Vice President, Assistant Corporate Controller will assist in managing the corporate close and consolidation process and will help lead projects as well as other process improvement efforts. This person will also assist in the review of information included in earnings releases, Form 10-K, Form 10-Q and other SEC filings.
Reporting into this role are two Directors, one who is responsible for SEC reporting and projects, and the other is responsible for corporate accounting and consolidations. The VP plays a critical role in assuring the accuracy and timeliness of all reporting, insights, policies, technical accounting memos, and working with external auditors. The VP is also responsible for developing the staff, a critical component of the role.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITES
This position will assist in managing the corporate close and consolidation process and will help lead projects as well as other process improvement efforts. In addition, this position will assist in various areas of external reporting and technical accounting. Specific responsibilities will likely include the following:
• Assist in managing the corporate close and consolidation process, which may include review of areas such as share based compensation, pension and the annual goodwill impairment analysis.
• Assist in process improvement efforts related to 2018 system implementation as well as improvement efforts related to key close metrics.
• Review unique transactions for the appropriate accounting treatment.
• Analyze and research new accounting requirements and their likely impact on the company’s reported results.
• Prepare technical accounting memos documenting the Company’s conclusions under the relevant accounting guidance.
• Maintain the financial policy database by updating and preparing accounting policy documentation
• Develop audit committee materials.
• Assist in the documentation and review of internal controls.
• Assist in the review of information included in earnings releases, Form 10-K, Form 10-Q and other SEC filings.
• Provide analysis and insight for other assignments and ad hoc projects as needed, including acquisitions, integration, restructuring activities, impairment analysis, audit committee presentations and other requests from senior management.
• Provide support to external auditors during audits and interim reviews.
• Provide leadership, direction, and development of the team.
• Build a best-in-class department by promoting and instilling a culture of personal learning and growth regarding technical components, and professional development to navigate throughout the organization.
• Instill a vision around sustainability, and a culture that befits a premier employer.
• Ensure the accounting team has a clear and compelling vision of 'what great looks like' and a plan around how to achieve it with aggressive goals, accountability, collaboration and communication.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with leaders across the company to evaluate performance.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting and 15 years of progressive related experience. CPA required.
• Demonstrated leadership and development abilities.
• Possess exceptional knowledge of GAAP, FASB, technical accounting, and SEC reporting.
• Ability to establish trust and credibility across the company with all levels of stakeholders.
• Ability to exercise good judgment and maturity while maintaining confidentiality as required.
• Exceptional analytical competence and knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft Office products. BPC experience a plus.
• Self-reliant, detail-oriented, proactive and capable of effectively managing multiple tasks, projects and deadlines. Intellectually curious.
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate and develop positive relationships with both internal and external colleagues and clients.
• Ability to remain effective and patient under pressure.
• Must be able to collaborate and function in a fast-paced team-oriented workplace.
||CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS
• Technical Competency – This individual must be intellectually sharp and clearly capable of thinking on his/her feet while demonstrating outstanding business judgment. The VP, Assistant Corporate Controller will have a firm handle on technical accounting issues, as well as experience working for a public company. They must also have a solid foundation of core accounting and consolidations skills.
• Results-Oriented – The new VP, Assistant Corporate Controller must be performance-driven and able to provide measurable results in a proactive manner. The successful candidate will be collaborative, communicative, action-oriented, and possess a proactive sense of urgency and the ability to overcome obstacles to produce results in a timely fashion. He/she will be comfortable in rolling up his/her sleeves to get things done. Achieving these goals while working in a collaborative environment will require the political savvy to know when to push for action and take responsibility while also ensuring strong communication with the Chief Accounting Officer.
• Communication – This individual should possess very strong communication and persuasion skills, truly partnering with the Chief Accounting Officer and others within the finance team. He or she should be comfortable, articulate, and dynamic in front of both external and internal audiences including senior leadership, external auditors, and other non-financial members of the organization. She/he will be direct, candid and possess strong conflict resolution skills. This will include effective negotiation skills with all constituents within and outside the company.
• Leadership and Development – The VP, Assistant Corporate Controller will work closely with his/her Directors and staff. This individual must be able to teach technical skills, as well as develop the team into well-rounded, upwardly mobile professionals. Having a high sense of ownership for others’ success is a key attribute. Being a learner themselves and imparting that on the team is critical.
• Perspective – This individual will provide a worldly perspective of macro and industry influences to assist in guiding the company in new directions, particularly around accounting pronouncements and the overall regulatory environment. He/she will provide perspective coming in from outside the organization to aid in the collective leadership team’s understanding and acceptance of trends, insights, changing business perspective and management strategies. This keen perspective should be presented with patience and guidance rather than authoritative.
Our Client is an equal opportunity employer. Our client offers fair and equal employment opportunities for everyone regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law. We recruit, process, and assign all applicants based on their qualifications for the particular job, and we do so without regard to any factor unrelated to their ability to fulfill job requirements.
Stanton Chase, one of the leading retained executive search firms in the world, is committed to building world-class management teams for clients competing in a global market. We provide exceptional leaders and organizational solutions to enhance our clients’ competitive advantage. We do so through long-term client relationships built on experience, insight and teamwork. With 76 offices in 45 countries, we can deliver the right executive talent anywhere in the world.