Upstream is a rapidly growing national nonprofit working to expand economic opportunity and mobility by reducing unplanned pregnancy. Working in partnership with states, Upstream provides health centers of all types with sustainable training and technical assistance to ensure all women have access to the full range of contraceptive methods and are able to obtain the birth control method of their choice in a single visit with their healthcare provider at low or no-cost.
Upstream is on track to achieve nationwide impact at scale. Our goal through 2023 is to partner with health centers that serve over 1 million women of reproductive age across four states. We launched our first state-based initiative in Delaware in 2014, followed by Massachusetts and Washington in 2017. North Carolina will be Upstream’s fourth state for expansion. This ambitious plan for growth has received generous support from philanthropic individuals and foundations, including a $60 million lead investment by Blue Meridian Partners, which has helped grow Upstream’s budget from $1.7 million just three years ago to approximately $25 million by 2019. Upstream’s work has also garnered attention from a variety of leading publications including, The New York Times, Washington Post, the Atlantic, CNN, Vox, Forbes, and Marie Claire.
Following our first statewide intervention in Delaware, a leading national research center estimates a 24% decrease in unplanned pregnancies among Title X patients between 2014 and 2017. Patient surveys conducted at our partner healthcare centers affirm that Upstream-trained providers are empowering patients to make their own decisions about their contraceptive care.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for the areas relating to accounting and financial reporting. This position is responsible for maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Assistant Controller also takes ownership of the accounting team’s efforts on the year-end financial statement audit as well as the annual Form 990 preparation. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including managing all aspects of the general ledger.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing the full accounting cycle, prioritizing and balancing multiple tasks against their respective deadlines. They will have a strong attention to detail to maintain the highest levels of accuracy and completeness in the organization’s financial record. They will have a deep technical competency in US GAAP, including specific principles for non-profit accounting, and promote both cross-functional collaboration and a positive work environment.
* Review and post vendor invoices and employee expense reports input to the accounting software by the Staff Accountant. Manage the organization’s vendor database, approving any additions and changes to the vendor files.
* Prepare journal entries on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis for revenue, investments, fixed assets, and other liabilities. Prepare other journal entries on an as needed basis
* Reconcile bank accounts, investment accounts, and other asset and liability accounts on a monthly basis.
* Manage the fixed assets register, maintain documentation, and calculate the fixed asset schedule. Prepare depreciation entries on a monthly basis.
* Responsible for the accuracy of data in general ledger accounts; manages all aspects of the general ledger
* Manage the payroll process with organization’s payroll provider on a semi-monthly basis, ensuring that wages are accurately calculated in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and that salary disbursements are in accordance with the organization’s payroll schedule.
* Work with the organization’s payroll provider to ensure the organization maintains compliance with all local, state, and federal payroll taxes and filings.
* Ensure an accurate and timely monthly and year-end close, and timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
* Manage the annual financial audit process, primary contact with auditor personnel, and ensure auditor requests are provided accurately and timely.
* Manage the annual Form 990 process, preparing tax forms, leading the coordination with tax firm personnel and providing all requested information.
* Identify and implement new practices to continually improve processes for greater efficiency.
* Research accounting issues for compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
* Assist with the establishment and maintenance of internal controls.
* Support the Director of Finance and Accounting and the Chief Finance and Administration Officer with special projects as needed.
||Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Our ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate aptitude in the specified areas below.
* Bachelor’s Degree required in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or Economics. Masters of Accounting, MBA, or other advanced degree is highly valued.
* CPA active license required
* 5-7+ years of accounting experience, experience with non-profit accounting and tax requirements is highly valued
* Evidence of understanding and working knowledge of accounting and finance theories and practices
* Experience with accounting software systems (Intacct a plus), payroll services (Paycom a plus), and expense reporting systems (Concur a plus)
* High proficiency in Microsoft Suite including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
* Demonstrated ability to lead, coach, and manage staff
* Excellent analytical, organizational, problem-solving, and cross-functional collaborations skills
* Understands the big picture, but is also able to step into the numbers
* Ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment; should be able to identify departmental needs and take initiative to implement solutions
* Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and meet project deadlines
* Possesses excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively. Builds and maintains positive, productive relationships with colleagues, staff, consultants, and clients
* Confident and proactive self-starter who is skilled in taking initiative and eager to taking ownership of responsibilities
* Demonstrates a high degree of adaptability to work in a rapidly growing, post-start-up organization
* Detail- and results-oriented team player who is dedicated to getting the job done accurately and on a timely basis; possesses a strong sense of urgency
* Excellent attention to detail and conscientious approach to delivering the best product
* Strong work ethic and a team player attitude
* Sense of humor and affability
* Interest in working for a mission driven organization