Sesame Workshop is seeking a Vice President of International Programs and Operations. The VP will oversee Sesame Workshop’s International Social Impact Education and Program Management functions, setting strategic direction, supporting capacity-building and ensuring delivery for our Early Childhood Development (ECD) programs around the world. This individual should be a strong cross-functional leader, who is able to quickly “grasp the big picture” and deploy resources effectively to deliver on the International Social Impact department’s educational and programmatic agenda.
The position is based in New York, NY, and reports into the Senior Vice President, International Social Impact. Travel up to 20%.
Leadership of project management and expansion strategies
• Oversee the program operations and day-to-day leadership of project management team to provide them with management guidance, strategies for regional / programmatic growth, and operational assistance.
• Coordinate and direct expansion strategies and help build strategic partnerships in existing and new regions.
Ensure Sesame’s leadership in delivering educational impact in all programs
• Oversee the development and implementation of Sesame’s education agenda in close partnership with the Sr. Director of International Education.
• Ensure effective deployment, coordination and collaboration between project management and education / curriculum development teams, so that deliverables are on-time and on-budget.
Strengthen internal operations, coordination and infrastructure
• Supervise organizational planning and development, on-boarding, professional development, performance management and recruiting of staff; provide clarity around roles, motivate senior managers, and facilitate effective team dynamics.
• Build internal capability in staff, program/ project managers, education and development professionals.
• Serve as a “player/coach” to motivate and mentor teams both locally and remotely
• Support the senior leadership team, regional teams, and staff to make progressive steps toward organizational and programmatic consistency and sustainability; effectively communicate work plans and priorities to build ownership and follow-through with coordinated accountabilities, objectives, and associated budgets.
• Enhance organizational and operational excellence by establishing operational benchmarks, timelines, and resources needed to achieve strategic goals, proactively recommending and driving improvements as necessary; set standards for accountability and measurements of success.
• Develop and manage the program management and education functions’ budget, as well as identify opportunities for improvement.
• Using business acumen, financial and management skills, establish and drive to an effective balance between growth and affordability to establish the resources necessary to achieve business goals.
• Ensure effective compliance with funded project requirements – both programmatic and budgetary (in coordination with Sesame Workshop’s Compliance function).
• Facilitate and support strong and productive interactions with other departments including: international media & entertainment, research, strategy, philanthropic development, finance, human resources and legal.
External Relationship Development
• Manage and cultivate existing relationships with NGOs to expand distribution and fundraising opportunities.
• Publicly represent Sesame Workshop with external constituency groups including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for Sesame Workshop’s global mission
• Develop and present thought leadership content for global development themes
• Work collaboratively with internal as well as external partners and other organizations, providing exposure for program impact in a variety of professional journals and other media outlets.
• Serve as a strong thought leader and effective spokesperson for Sesame.
Department Overview – International Social Impact
Sesame Workshop’s International Social Impact department, a division of Global Impact and Philanthropy, develops and implements Sesame’s powerful initiatives to serve children and families around the world. Sesame’s research-driven initiatives reach many children who would otherwise have little or no access to early childhood education and support all aspects of children’s development – including healthy habits, cognitive development in areas such as early literacy and math, and social-emotional well-being and resilience. We reach and engage children, parents and caregivers using multiple media platforms and innovative strategies – from television and radio to digital media, mobile technologies, books, E-books, magazines, classroom materials, teacher/provider training, social media, and more.
An advanced degree with 10 - 15 years of strategic, operational and financial management experience. MUST have experience working in a strategy consulting firm (McKinsey, BCG, Bain, etc.) in addition to operations and financial leadership within a for-profit or non-profit sector. Media experience desirable.
• A track record of effectively leading performance-based and outcome-based international programs, staff and associated budgets
• Direct experience and accountability for managing a multi-million budget or P&L in excess of $10M
• Strong business acumen, sophisticated analytical and financial skills critical
• Experience in field operations, regional leadership and headquarters-based strategy positions within a complex and highly matrixed organization
• Proven success in developing, managing and operationalizing strategies that have scaled a global program or organization to the next stage of growth
• Unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management to achieve strategic objectives
• Demonstrated ability to thrive in a complex environment, handle a variety of constituencies, and manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously
• Strength in program planning and management, and coordination between corporate and international offices
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a diverse internal management team and external partners and organizations
• Proven success in developing and leading talent, creating high performing teams that consistently produce outstanding results, through effective hiring, onboarding, coaching, development and career pathing
• Strong written and verbal communication skills - persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent interpersonal abilities
• Outstanding analytical, project management and problem-solving skills.
• Strong business acumen, problem-solving and analytical skills
• Ability to articulate passion for Sesame Workshop's mission
• Ability and willingness to travel internationally up to 20% of the time
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled