||Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
As a senior member of the Global Finance Leadership Team, the Controller & Chief Accounting Officer will serve as the overall leader of global accounting at Marriott International. This position will be accountable for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of a system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles, SEC rules and regulations, international financial reporting standards and Sarbanes/Oxley 404 rules on internal controls.. The position will have oversight of the following groups within Marriott International: Financial Reporting & Analysis; Accounting Policy; Governance – Global Compliance, Business Process & Systems Management, BPO Governance, Financial Contract Compliance and Risk Management. This position will also have primary accountability for the performance of Accenture Hospitality Services (AHS), Marriott’s outsourcing partner who provides general accounting, accounts payable, credit card services, billing and collections, payroll, labor scheduling, and Owner and Franchise billing.
He/She must be adept at tapping diverse sources of information, identifying profitable opportunities, anticipating challenges, and devising and executing breakthrough strategies to deliver against current and future global finance and accounting priorities, thereby strengthening Marriott’s competitive advantage through excellence in finance and accounting services delivery. Leads a senior team in efforts to develop a high performing workforce and implement the appropriate reporting, systems and end-to-end process strategies and tactics across MI, in alignment with the broader financial framework of the enterprise, and in collaboration with the CFO and other Senior Finance and Business leaders across Marriott International.
• Create an organization that provides timely financial and accounting information and absolute integrity to business leaders.
• Set the accounting strategy, in alignment with the overall Global Finance priorities and MI strategy. Draw on diverse sources of information (e.g., competitor, industry, economic) to develop strategies and identify business improvement opportunities.
• Enable operational excellence of the business through the delivery of top-performing, end-to-end accounting and finance processes.
• Monitor and innovate, as appropriate, accounting practices and strategies to optimize business performance
• Consult to senior leadership and key stakeholders concerning financial shared services issues with AHS; partner with AHS to continue the expansion of services across MI globally, as well as with our Franchise partners, as appropriate.
• Achieve annual goals and budget targets by effectively managing resources and stakeholder requirements
• Ensure appropriate metrics are in place to manage business risks and improve decision marking; ensure strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard MI and improve operations; oversight of global accounting and reporting governance.
• Consistently identify opportunities to reduce costs and improve operating margins
• Ensure timely and accurate quarterly and annual client reporting pursuant to the above standards.
• Coordinate and ensure compliance with the firm’s third-party accountants.
• Implement, maintain and monitor accounting policies and procedures consistent with GAAP.
• Interact with outside accounting firms to ensure accurate, timely and cost-effective audits and tax filings for Company.
• Manage the reporting process so that financial information provided is both timely and accurate. This includes the preparation of a full set of financial statements and footnotes on a quarterly basis and coordination of that information into the Quarterly Report, working with other finance groups within the company.
• Ensure that all financial operations are in compliance with the Securities Exchange Commission rules, and all regulations governing Company’s business.
• Have an understanding of all major issues affecting acquisition, management, analysis and disposition of commercial real estate assets.
• Oversee Risk Management which includes Fire & Life Safety; Global Safety & Security; Insurance; Internal Investigations; and Global Claims & Occupational Health Services.
• Supervise Leadership team to ensure: effective and timely production of all requisite reports, statements, memorandum and any and all other documentation on behalf of Company on or before the deadlines set therefore; the financial integrity of Company’s books and records relating to the firm’s activity; timely and accurate processing of cash management, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
• Improve business performance through leveraging talent and organizational systems. Lead the selection, development, and retention of key leadership talent in the division in order to build a high-performing, diverse workforce. Supervise the day-to-day activities of direct reports and promote a work environment that is fair, equitable, feedback-rich and career opportunity-focused. Assemble a high performing leadership team that bridges the gaps in own competencies based on an exceptional understanding of business performance requirements
• Partner with Human Resources leadership to strengthen the organization performance through ensuring effective structures, processes, jobs, and performance management systems, along with the “right” people, are in place to support the strategic priorities of the business.
• Set goals and expectations for direct reports using the Leadership Performance Process (LPP) and hold staff accountable for successful performance; coach team by providing specific feedback to improve performance; conduct annual performance appraisal with direct reports; and ensure the same occurs at lower level of his/her organization.
• Champion excellence in business ethics and integrity, social responsibility, cross-cultural effectiveness, and associate engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
• Extensive (15+ years) experience in finance and accounting in a global organization
• Ten + years experience in a management role, leading a department
• Experience leading and managing large scale initiatives and managing associated change
• Exposure to international complexities in accounting and finance business processes
• Experience with a “Big Four” (PWC, KPMG, Ernst & Young and Deloitte) accounting firm preferred.
• Accounting experience in a publicly traded company
• Lodging/ hospitality industry experience preferred.
• Education or Certification
• Baccalaureate degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline required
• MBA or Master’s of Science/Graduate Degree in Finance preferred.
• CPA certificate required
Knowledge and Skills
• Strong business acumen; depth of knowledge in generally accepted finance and accounting policies, principles and controls.
• Strong leader of people – ability to creates a compelling vision, demonstrate flexibility in approach; and motivates others (who may, oftentimes, not be direct reports) to achieve desired results; able to build effective teams that are committed to organizational goals and initiatives
• Ability to work in a matrix organization, partnering with resources to achieve results through others.
• Develops and maintains effective relationships with a broad group of stakeholders in order to foster trust and influence key decisions
• Exceptional communication skills; creates an atmosphere in which timely information flows smoothly through the organization.
• Actively develops and effectively manages a diverse workforce
• Orchestrates systemic change – initiates, supports and manages change within the organization, taking steps to remove barriers or to accelerate its pace
• Constructive approach to dealing with conflict; strong mediation skills.
• Ability to translate business needs into operational finance and accounting priorities.
• Effectively deploys and manages resources to achieve objectives and uses data to systemically monitor progress against plans
• Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills; ability to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner to senior management, owners and franchisees; uses data and a cogent problem-solving methodology in decision making and impact assessment
• Outstanding strategic planning and management skills
• Skillful negotiator in tough situations, sells ideas persuasively, settles differences and wins concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful while remaining diplomatic
• Ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to enhance organization effectiveness through expertise in talent management and organizational capability
• Active learner -- able to enhance personal, professional and business growth through new knowledge and experiences;
• Advanced computer skills working with accounting, financial and reporting software as well as Microsoft Office programs.
• Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.